Sunday, April 1, 2012

I PR'd!!!!

The race was GREAT!  The weather?  Not so much.  It was raining pretty steadily but the worst part was the wind.  There were a few times when it honestly felt like I was running in place!  I managed to run the entire race - no walking at all!!  With the exception of the really windy times as well as trying to dodge a few hug puddles - I kept my pace pretty well!  I finished in 49 minutes exactly!!!  The goal was to do a sub 50 race and I DID IT!  I'll bet I could have finished in about 47 if 1. it wasn't so windy.  2. It wasn't raining so hard and 3. I wasn't so sick.  I am so proud of myself!   The people putting the race on were really nice - and they had a good sense of humor!  Since it is April fool's day - they gave the medals to the BOTTOM 3 finishers!  How cool is it that I was nowhere NEAR the end!  The final entrant came in about half an hour after me!  When I got into the home stretch I saw my husband and children at the finish line!  Colin was yelling "GO MOMMY GO" over and over again!  I dug down deep and ran as FAST as I could to the end.  According to my polar- I finished up at a little  over a 10 minute mile for that last stretch!  I can't even imagine running an entire race that fast!  I can't wait to be able to do that!  I averaged a 16 minute mile but I'm sure that was due to the wind.  Whenever I looked at my watch it seemed like I was going at about a 14.56 pace.  Anyway - hubby took a pic of me as I crossed the finish line.  I'm pretty sure I made the same face when I gave birth to my children.  HAHAHA
Pete told me I was not in the center of the frame because I was running too fast. HAHAHA  Whatever - you'd think that would place me in the FRONT half of the frame!  He is a goof!

     When I got home I took a hot shower and collapsed into bed.  This cold is pretty bad.  During the race my lungs were burning and it had nothing to do with running.  Right now I'm dreading hubby going to work tomorrow.  I wish I could stay in bed all day and rest.  I swear - whenever my son gets sick, I get sick.  It never fails.  I had better make this short - my daughter is screaming her head off right now.  I swear - everyone feels like garbage in my house today.  

Thanks for reading!!  Have a wonderful night! -Monica

10 comments:

  1. yay! congrats! Running a 5k is a big deal, and PRing is even bigger of a deal! nice job today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo! You did AWESOME! Love the picture! It is almost as hard as giving birth! It takes a lot of work, pushing your body to your current limit! Won't it be fun to push those limits farther.

    Take care of yourself. Take it easy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny how you can surprise yourself! I didn't think I could run that fast at the end. I honestly wanted to collapse - but then I saw my little boy jumping up and down yelling GO MOMMY GO and I couldn't help myself! I kinda wish hubby would take tomorrow off. I am so stinking sick. UGH

      Delete
  3. Great job! Question, I am in the process of losing 100 lbs and just started running. Was starting hard for you? Do you follow C25K religiously or kind of do your own thing?
    Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal - good for you!!! Starting wasn't too bad - I didn't do the couch to 5k at first - I just went out to see how far I could jog. I basically did that 3 times a week. I would go to the park (where I had measured out a half mile) and I just did that lap over and over again. I wouldn't recommend this though - I'm pretty sure this is why I injured myself. I HIGHLY recommend the C25k program. I'm pretty faithful to the program - but I DID run my 5k today and I'm not anywhere near the end. If you start the program and it's too hard - you could always slow your pace. When I first started, my pace was crazy slow. My jog was at 3.5 on the treadmill. Now I've got it up to 4.5. I think the program is really designed to help you succeed. When you do what I tried to do - you risk injury because it's too much too soon. Does that make sense? Oh and WITHOUT A DOUBT - go to a running store and get the right sneakers. The people at sporting goods stores usually don't know what the heck they are talking about. Running stores are MUCh more knowledgeable!! Good luck to you!! Stop in sometime and let me know how it's going!!

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo! Congrats on the race!

    Oh, I totally know how it goes with kids. Both my kids AND my husband will get sick and I take care of them and, as soon as they are all back to normal, I get sick...and there is no one to take care of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO the truth! I really belong in bed right now. :-/

      Thanks for the congrats! I'm really looking forward to the next one!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I love your picture!

    ReplyDelete