Friday, March 9, 2012

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step... here I go!

     I suppose a getting to know you blurb is in order!  My name is Monica and I am 36 years old.  I live in Oregon with my husband Pete and two wonderful children.  I'm a cat lover, a music lover, a craft lover - and I'm fat.  What a combo. 

      I have tried a bazillion times in the past to lose weight but I have never gotten very far.  Something is different this time, I'm not 100% sure I know what it is, but I can feel it.  I feel determined and I KNOW nothing will stop me.

     I started the year weighing in at 292 lbs.  I have not admitted that to anyone except my husband.  It pains me to blurt it out like that - but it's the cold honest truth.  I started Weight Watchers in the middle of January and as of today I have lost 16 lbs.  I am actually down to 268 right now, so that brings me to a total of 24lbs lost!  YIPPEE!  I have already ditched a pant size!  I am currently wearing a pair of shorts that I have not been able to wear since I got married in 2005!
     Weight loss is not my only goal - I want to get fit.  I don't mean skinny.  I don't have an actual pant size in mind -more of an overall feeling of health and fitness.  If that feeling comes in a size 4 or a size 14, I will be happy!  My main motivations are:

1. My children. I want to live a long and happy life with them. I do NOT want to rob them of their mother..
2. My health. I am SO TIRED of feeling afraid that every ache and pain is a heartattack or something else just as serious.
3. My life. I am also tired of being tired. I want to ENJOY life and not just endure it. I want to run in races. I want to go hiking with my kids. I want to have FUN!
4. My bloodwork. I had a complete physical before starting this program, stress test included. My blood sugar is high and I am considered pre-diabetic. My cholesterol was a bit elevated as were my liver enzymes. No way, not anymore - I am going to get a CLEAN bill of health at my next check up. That is a FACT!
5. My happiness. I feel ugly. I am embarassed of the way I look. I don't even want that to be a consideration anymore. I want to get up in the morning, get dressed , and not have to worry if my butt looks big in this.
6. My disorder. I have a pain disorder called Trigeminal Neuralgia. It sucks. It hurts. I know it is eventually going to get worse - so I want to live my life to the fullest while I can. Who knows, maybe getting fit will help. It's worth a try!

      I know just eating right is only a piece of the fitness puzzle, so I joined a gym.  I have also begun a couch to 5k program.  I'm on day 2 right now so I'll let you know how it goes!  I am also weight training three times a week because muscle burns fat and that is the idea afterall!

     So that is my story.  I am going to blog about my journey along the way because who knows, maybe someone else out there is needing to do the same thing.  If I could give someone a little extra push in the right direction then it's all worth it!  I hope you'll join me in my journey of a thousand miles!!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment